This adventure hike is a self-guided hiking experience, with no outside help or support and is for adventurers who want to carry their own backpacks! It's a great way to experience the true beauty of Fraser Island your way! Our AW Host Chris will join the group to undertake the walk and is available to help out with logistics, pre-trip planning, preparation and to provide tips on what to pack/how to pack a backpack.
We've teamed up with Fraser Island Hiking who provide all the information and gear you need to get the best out of hiking on Fraser Island and is one of the only businesses that can provide a 4WD transfer to the trails to start your hike. We're bringing you the challenge and adventure of the 3 day and 2 night coast to coast hike! As the name states, this adventure leads you to hike from the East Coast to the West coast of Fraser Island, seeing and experiencing the best Fraser has to offer! See the world famous Lake McKenzie and Lake Wabby, have a real adventure and experience Fraser Islandâ€™s diverse landscape. See the best of Fraser's spectacular towering rainforest, pristine freshwater lakes, amazing sand blows and great scenic views.
Our group will consist of between 2 - 6 hikers only and is suitable for those with a moderate level of fitness and walking experience. You will be walking around 30km in total, there is no electricity, no showers and bush drop toilets. You will be required to carry a 70 Litre hiking pack with all food and utilities (eg: tents, cookers)
● Beautiful Lake McKenzie
● Stunning Emerald Lake Wabby
● Camping Under the Stars
● Swimming in the stunning lakes
● Hiking through untouched rainforest and old ancient eucalypt forest
● Serenity of the Secret Hikers Beach
● Great Views & Stunning Beaches
- 8:00AM - take a 4WD transfer from Hervey Bay via the barge to the Eastern Beach of Fraser Island, to the entrance of Lake Wabby.
- Enjoy a lunch stop before hiking 3km via Lake Wabby to the walkers camp.
- Relax by stunning emerald Lake Wabby for a swim or go to the lookout and enjoy a scenic view of the vast Eastern Beach.
- Set up camp and spend the first night camping under the stars at Lake Wabby hikers camp
Meals: None included
- Wake up early (5:30/6am) for sunrise at the lookout and see the sun rise over the eastern beach, with spectacular colours and views.
- Have a light breakfast and pack up camp ready for the next destination.
- Spend the day hiking through untouched rainforest and old ancient eucalypt forest, to the beautiful Lake McKenzie.
- Once at Lake McKenzie, set up camp and enjoy a splash in the lake at sunset.
Meals: None included
- Spend the morning swimming at Lake McKenzie, also known by its indigenous name â€˜Lake Boorangooraâ€™.
- Enjoy the serenity of the secret hikers beach and have lunch at fenced, picnic enclosures near the lake.
- 1:00PM hike from Lake McKenzie to Kingfisher Bay Resort enjoying the peaceful and calm natural bush.
- Stop by a historical site: McKenzieâ€™s Jetty.
- Arrive at the Kingfisher Bay by 4:00pm, enjoy a refreshing drink and snack.
- Meeting the 4wd transfer at 4:30pm to take the ferry at 5:00pm back to the mainland.
Meals: None included
Adventurous Women Host to coordinate to the group - help you plan & prepare
Hiker information and safety briefing
SPOT GEN 3 which is a satellite GPS messenger
Barge and 4WD transfer
Maps and itineraries
Hiking equipment (2 person tent, sleeping mat, gas cooker, bowls, cups etc.)
Hikers camp permits
- Suitable walking shoes
- Suitable walking clothing
- Food not provided, bring your own lightweight options
- Sleeping bags and rain jackets (available for hire at $10 each)
- Credit card taken for bond hiking equipment supplied
- A small number of personal items (swimmers, light clothing)
- Quick Dry towel
- Torch, water purification tablets, sunscreen, hat, insect repellent
- 1.5Lt bottle to carry water
- A sense of adventure!!
Fraser Island Hiking take the safety of their clients very seriously, they know that Fraser Island is a remote wilderness, with limited mobile coverage and precautions need to be undertaken. This is why hikers must be in groups and they also provide adventure hikes with the SPOT GEN 3 which is a satellite GPS messenger, that can send updated locational information back to base or be activated in an emergency situation.
- Pick up's and drop off's available from hostels/ hotels in Urangan
- Free street parking at our office (extra cost for gated parking)
- Extra fee for bag storage (if not stored in your own vehicle)
- The price per person is based on the 2021 walking season.
This tour by it's very nature is not designed for the 5 Star Traveller. It is for the girl who has an 'adventurous spirit' and is looking for a unique and rewarding 'experience' . You need to be able to carry a backpack, camp in a tent, use bush toilets and there are no showers.
Notice of cancellation must be in writing, with an email as an acceptable form of communication, directly to Adventurous Women with the following conditions:
As of the 19th September 2019 Unfortunately PayPal have changed their policy to now retain fees even when we issue a refund. Due to this change both partial and full refunds will now be less the full fee charged by PayPal at the time of booking
No refund is available after departure of a tour has commenced.