Loch Luna wetlands, in the Riverland, is one of South Australia's iconic paddling locations.
The area is sheltered with slow flowing waters and is rich in birdlife as well as full of nooks, crannies and small waterways that beg to be explored as we kayak and camp our way around the area.
On this no fuss, no frills expedition, you will be joined by a local guide & our own highly experienced Adventurous Women host Leonie on the journey, both of whom will provide you with plenty of support along the way. This trip is suitable for first timers or those with experience, however an adventurous spirit is required as the camping experience itself is basic, and designed to provide you with a real sense of being in nature as we paddle and camp around this unique section of the Murray River National Park, stopping each afternoon at a different riverside camp to enjoy what the local areas to offer.
* Guests will need to supply their own food but we will organise for you to meet with Leonie, your highly experienced host, a couple of weeks prior to the trip to work out the logistics and decide on food.
— If you're interested in car-pooling down to Berri, join the conversation on the SA private Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/AdventurousWomenSA
● Featuring creeks that offer some of the most interesting paddling in South Australia, with abundant birdlife.
● Ancient Redgums around every bend in an area that was frequented by Aborigines for millennia.
● Low banks, mostly lined with reeds (a nice contrast to the grey clay banks seen frequently on the river.)
● Black swans, pelicans, whistling kite, darters, reed warblers and even regent parrots if you're lucky
● Rakali, kangaroos, rainbow bee-eaters in season
● Canoe trees: the scars left on trees from the cutting of the bark to make canoes, many, many years ago.
● Overnight at campsites that seem a million miles from anyone else
● Opportunities for a night walk at each campsite with powerful head torches.
● Opportunity for a relaxing twilight paddle and/or walk to the lookout on Sugarloaf Hill.
For those wanting to carpool or drive together you will need to meet Leonie, your AW Host in the carpark of Bunnings, Cnr of Main North Rd and Kings Road, Parafield at approximately 7.30am with the aim for everyone to meet up around 10-10:30am at Banrock Station Kingston on Murray for a short walk and possibly a wine tasting before enjoying a delicious lunch and making our way to the Loch Luna Reserve.
(If you're interested in carpooling join the conversation on the SA private Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/AdventurousWomenSA)
Exact locations will be supplied in your notes after booking.
Once at the launch point we will be met by the lead guide with all the kayaks/equipment. All our camping gear will be driven to our campsite while we paddle there via the Murray River and wetland trails.
After a short briefing we'll be on our way..
Approx Paddling Distance: 5kms
Meals: None included
Setting off in the morning we wind our way through Chambers Creek, Nockburra Creek and the backwaters of the 2 lakes of Loch Luna taking in all that this lovely paddling section has to offer. At the end of the day we will return to our campsite.
After dinner there is an opportunity for a relaxing twilight paddle and/or walk to the lookout on Sugarloaf Hill.
Approx Paddling Distance: 12kms
Meals: None included
On our last day, we will explore more of the lakes and creeks as we make our way back to our start point after which you may wish to join Leonie at a local venue for lunch.
Your AW Host Leonie will be returning to Adelaide in the afternoon and welcomes you to join her in the convoy back... or you may just choose to spend the evening in Berri to finish out your little break away! We anticipate that the arrival back into Adelaide will be between 5 & 6pm.
Please note: Our expected return time to Adelaide is approximate
Approx Paddling Distance: 7kms
Meals: None included
3 day, 2 night kayaking trip
One qualified Kayak Guide/Instructor
One Adventurous Women Host
Double Touring kayaks
Dry bags - 2 or 3 each
Tents (2 to a 3 person tent or 4 to a 5 person tent)
Gas Stove - "lunchbox" style - for 2-4 people
Cooking Utensils (inc. wash bowl & cleaning items) - for 2-4 people
Eating Utensils - one "dilly bag" each
8L "Pack Tap" Water Bag
Dry bag with toilet paper, spade and soap - one per tent group
Meals/Food (Our AW Host, Leonie will coordinate menu/food items and everyone will be given the opportunity to contribute)
Protective clothing (sun/rain)
- Gear List Provided on Booking
- Food - (Our AW Host, Leonie will coordinate menu/food items and everyone will be given the opportunity to contribute)
- You can bring air beds or self-inflating mats to go on top of the sleeping mats supplied and any other not-too-bulky items for greater comfort if you like.
- You can BYO a small one person tent if you prefer not to share (otherwise these are supplied on a twin/share basis)
The Kayaks are Double Touring Kayaks, however if you would prefer to have a single kayak for the duration we can accommodate you at the additional charge of $35.00.
This is a great experience suitable for beginners through to experienced paddlers / and all fitness levels
Fruit and vegetables CANNOT BE TAKEN INTO OR OUT of the the Riverland (even with a receipt) but they are readily available locally in Berri and the surrounding area. Fines apply both ways now as fruit fly has been found in some Riverland areas.
This tour by its very nature is not designed for the 5 Star Traveller. It is for the girl who has an 'adventurous spirit' and is looking for a unique and rewarding 'experience'! You need to be able to adopt a "Go With The Flow" attitude, a willingness to have a go, work as a team .... and to be 'ok' with bush camping (no showers, drop toilets or at times, no toilets)
Due to the nature of the trip, weather conditions can have a major impact on our daily activities so plans may need to be changed or adjusted depending on the challenges we face
Notice of cancellation must be in writing, with an email as an acceptable form of communication, directly to Adventurous Women with the following conditions:
No refund is available after departure of a tour has commenced.